Saturday, January 8, 2011

rough night....

Last night about 8:30 Mason could wiggle his fingers, but he still had no pain.  Around 9pm (still no pain) I gave him the narcotic med prescribed, hoping to manage the pain before the nerve block wore off completely and it got bad.  Around 12:30 he woke up screaming from pain.  I gave him another pill, waited about 30 minutes, gave him 2 ibuprofen, waited 30 minutes, then called the hospital.  The nurse said she would page the on-call doctor, but after waiting another 30 minutes I gave him another narcotic pill, even though it had only been 1 1/2 hours rather than 4.  Around 2:30 he finally fell asleep, after horrible pain for 2 hours.  It was heartbreaking.

I woke him up about 6am to take another pill even though he was not in pain, and am going to keep him medicated every 4 hours, all day today so we don't have this problem again.  I guess that the down-side to not being inpatient is that you can't manage the sudden-onset post-surgical pain like a morphine drip does.  Things should start getting better from here.   I can tell you that when we have our visit on Wednesday, our surgeon is going to get an ear full regarding that on-call doctor who blew us off.  

1 comment:

  1. OMG. That's a terrible story. And I bet very scary in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete